BH war: Scores killed, 26 arrested, hundreds rescued

The Theatre Commander of Operation LAFIYA DOLE, Maj-Gen Lucky Irabor, has disclosed that scores of Boko Haram terrorists have been killed in recent operations within the theatre.

Irabor noted that asides the deaths, 26 other insurgents were arrested in various ground and aerial operations in Sambisa Forest in the last two weeks.

The army chief, who disclosed this at a news conference on Wednesday, December 7, in Maiduguri, said 801 hostages were also rescued during the offensive before resettling them in refugee camps in Borno and Yobe states.

He said the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) fighter jets also killed several fleeing insurgents, adding that 32 of their horses were also killed in the process.He further disclosed that of the 26 arrested suspects, seven claimed to be internally displaced persons (IDPs) from Yobe.

READ Also  FG launches $10 billion infrastructure programme to tackle Niger Delta insurgency

Meanwhile, the Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lt.-Gen. Tukur Yusuf Buratai, has clarified the deployment of troops in the South East, saying the move was part of measures to curtail criminal activities in the region and ensure that the people observed a hitch-free Yuletide,

Speaking yesterday during the official launch of Operation Python Dance for the zone in Awka, the Anambra State capital, Buratai pledged observance of human rights by his men while the exercise lasts.

He reiterated that every action taken in the course of duty nationwide had been within the purview of the force’s constitutional roles, insisting that training was essential for their performance not only in administrative roles in the barracks but also on the field.

READ Also  US Congress veto override of 9/11 lawsuits bill 'a mistake' - Obama

Earlier, Governor Willie Obiano recalled that his administration, through the assistance of security agencies, was able to check the high crime wave in the state two years ago, urging more support from the military.

 Obiano said those condemning the exercise had no reason to do so.

Obiano while receiving the Chief of Army Staff, Tukur Brurati, at the Prof Dora Akunyili Women Development Centre, Awka, the state capital, urged the people of the state to the military.

He said: “They are not Army of occupation as being labelled by IPOB and MASSOB, and others, especially on the internet”. “Nobody will be molested,”Obiano assured.

 

Login

Welcome! Login in to your account

Remember me Lost your password?

Lost Password