“No closure on Boko Haram until Chibok girls are found” – Lai Mohammed

The minister of information and culture Lai Mohammed has said there would be no closure on Boko Haram terrorists until the 218 missing Chibok school girls are rescued.

Speaking on Channels Television on Saturday, October 1, Mohammed denied claims that the federal government cared less about the missing girls.

“There shall be no closure on the Boko Haram issue until and when the Chibok girls are released and returned to the safety of their families,” Mohammed said.

The minister also said the current President Muhammadu Buhari-led administration is on the same page with the Bring Back Our Girls group in ensuring that the girls are safely rescued.

He said the government appreciates the effort of the group in demanding the rescue of the girls and that the FG is ready to work in collaboration with the BBOG group.

“Clearly we need a closer working relationship so that there will be no communication gap. Clearly, I do not see the objective of the BBOG group as different from ours,’‘ he said.

READ Also  Naira hits new record low of 460 per dollar on black market

The group led by former minister of education Obiageli Ezekwesili had on Friday, September 30, while marking the girls 900 days in captivity said that the federal government was contradicting itself in various statements made on rescuing the girls.

In response to that, Mohammed said: “I think that does not contradict what Mr President has said that we have defeated Boko. Of course anybody who is familiar with the philosophy of insurgency will understand that it is not the regular kind of war where you sign an armistice and the guns become silent forever, but rather it is a kind of guerrilla war.”

”But what Mr President said, which cannot be contradicted, is that as of May 29, 2015, when he took over, we had a chunk of our territory in the hands of Boko Haram. As at 2015, a part of the Northeast could not be accessed because of the activities of the terrorists, but the same cannot be said about the area today,” he said

READ Also  Clash with Boko Haram in Niger kills five soldiers, 30 militants

He however, blamed the past administration for delaying on the most critical hours of the girls’ kidnap while stating that the Buhari-led administration is still open to negotiation with the terrorist group.

Last week, Esther Yakubu, a mother to one of the abducted girls – Dorcas – said President Buhari is not fit to be president. Madam Yakubu comparing Nigeria with other climes, said country deploy thousands to rescue one person but in the case of the missing 218 girls, the Nigerian government appears to be doing nothing to secure their release.

She further called on President Buhari to yield to the demand of the terrorists by releasing some of their members so that the girls can be released.

 

Login

Welcome! Login in to your account

Remember me Lost your password?

Lost Password